Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Atkins (or rather my failure at it)

I am not a big fan of diets. I know what I need to do to lose weight but have been lacking in motivation lately. My mind has been going back to my doctor appointment last year when I was told to go on a "low-carb low-fat diet" and eat no more than 1,000 calories. I thought it was asinine. But eventually I learned that 1,000-1,200 calories was perfect for me to lose weight. So if he was right about that maybe I should try low-carb/low-fat. I do have hypoglycemia so it wouldn't hurt to try it. I saw the Atkins book at Walmart and decided to buy it.

I was telling my friend (and co-worker) that I had bought the book to read up on it and possibly implement some of it into my life. She has done it before and told me that if I decided to do it, she would also. We picked today as our starting day.

I was doing good up until lunch. Rather than going to my well-stocked somewhat-Atkins-friendly house I ran out to my fave taco chain and got a taco salad figuring it has lots of protein and veggies that are low in carbs. Little did I know that it contained 60 carbs. I figure 20 were probably from the tortilla which I never eat anyway but that still leaves 40 from the black and pinto beans. Considering that during the induction weeks you are only supposed to consume 20 carbs, I would say that was a big oops. I am still going to try to keep my carbs to a minimum but I will not be too hard on myself and I will probably not check nutrition info on a website AFTER I eat the food (maybe not even before, either).

(Note: Not to throw my friend under the bus, but she ate lasagna for lunch. Atkins is hard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment